Monday, September 22, 2008

Chronic malady


A couple of years ago I came down with a deathly attack of athlete's foot - only the second time in my life that it's been half of this bad - that eventually forced me to go shoeless at work and made it so I could barely walk (even when I had to walk the dog in the morning). That time I went to the doctor way too late, had to to go the dermatologist, and found the athlete's foot spreading. It turns out that athlete's foot comes from this fungus - that are essentially plants growing in your skin - plants that spread by spores spreading the seeds - kind of like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." In that sense - once you've got it - kind of like scabies - it's very hard to get rid of - because the spores can spread anywhere your feet or other infected parts of your body come near. Instead of airing out your feet, you need to wear socks always (and change them often) to keep the spores from spreading - including in bed. Stephanie had come down with some athlete's foot late last month but started applying my old medicine. I lost my mind for a few days and did nothing and even forgot entirely about my old training regime. But then I called the doctor and got the over-the-counter lotion he suggested plus spray for the inside of my shoes and started wearing and changing socks, etc. I also then went to the doctor and got strong oral medication (but last time I got this it was already too late - my athlete's foot almost overwhelmed the oral medication) - although I lost it over the busy week that followed. Gradually, the athlete's foot has receded and - as Stephanie found my oral medication over the weekend - I'm back to taking that, which will hopefully eliminate the whole thing. I don't think it's an accident that both times I've gotten this - I've been particularly busy and run down - as it seems to develop when my general health isn't great either. Let's hope it's gone soon. In the mean time, another chronic problem which is tough to eliminate - fleas on Frisco and likely eggs everywhere - has cropped up again.

-- Perry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to take your supplements to keep healthy! How about some echinacea?
Also, can you address in your blog why there's still a close race between Obama and McCain when we've already experienced so many problems: war in Iraq, wall st bailout, fema mess-up with katrina, higher unemployment, etc.? Why do people still want to vote Republican?

Bill said...

Hi Perry, do you still get athlete's foot? Or have you managed to beat the fungus on your feet?