Friday, May 8, 2009

Pushy or desperate?


After a great day out on Derby Day Perry and I returned home. We were tired and exhausted. We grabbed the mail and walked into the house thinking only of bed. Then we looked at what exactly we had received in the mail.

Earlier this year and late last year, we had gotten rid of two of our cars and added two new cars to our insurance. This meant multiple changes to our car insurance policies since we didn’t do these transactions all at the same time. But we have kept the same insurance company through out all these transactions (actually pretty much since we’ve been married…I went with Perry’s insurance company).

Since December, when the first of the cars was decommissioned and the first insurance change, we have received phone calls and mailings from State Farm Insurance. I even called back once to tell them that we weren’t interested (partly because Vincent said the phone calls were keeping him from getting class work done…I wasn’t going to give him any excuses).

Well, Derby Day, State Farm showed how aggressive their marketing campaign really is. I received six different quote offers and, since Perry has a different last name, he also received six different quote offers. That means a total of twelve different envelopes and twelve different letters. That is a lot of trees being killed…even if we do recycle.

I was a little concerned about the flood of marketing. I called State Farm to be removed from their mailing lists. I did tell them that I understand that in this bad economy they are looking for people who can afford their insurance but this marketing ploy makes me wonder…Do I want to be insured by a company that is that desperate or pushy? How financially sound is State Farm if they have to resort to this kind of marketing?

The answer is…I’ll keep my own insurance company thank you. Even if I were looking for new insurance I wouldn’t go with a company that is giving off the vibe of being financially unsound and desperate for my business.

Sorry State Farm. This was a bust marketing ploy.


---- Stephanie

No comments: