Saturday, February 14, 2009

Prayer in school

My students had been looking forward to January 20th, 2009. They finally realized that it wasn't Alabama that was becoming president, but Obama.

Most of my students, even little third graders, had been following the election. During a writing assignment back in October where they had to write thank you letters to people in our community one student asked to write to the president. I wrote George W. Bush on the board. Saul exclaimed "no, the other one". I knew which one he meant but asked him to clarify (there might be lurking school board members in the hallway). He asked me to write Barack Obama's name on the board so he could spell it right. (Just to be safe, since it was before the election, I wrote John McCain's name on the board also...I didn't want to play partisanship.)

When January 20th finally came we had read together So You Want to be President which is a children's book that gives lots of fun and wacky details about all the different presidents. The TV in the classroom was on (muted) waiting for the momentous occasion when the inauguration would really begin. Samy and Yesse were jumping up and down excitedly while Saul explained that they think Obama is "hot".

I would explain who some of the famous people were when they came out for the speeches. Many of them (mind you they are third graders) actually gave a thumbs down for W. But then the true speeches (the ones the kids might follow started). I unmuted the TV and we all gathered around. After some time and explanations Rick Warren started his prayer. I figured this was a historical moment they will all remember (plus I was probably just as excited) I let the prayer go on without muting it (most of the country was watching this right?). An extraordinary thing happened in my room, it still gives me goosebumps to think about it. Rick Warren finished his prayer with the Lord's Prayer. Slowly, first with my Cuban student and soon followed by my Mexican students, they joined in. One in English and four in Spanish bowed their heads and said the Lord's Prayer with Rick Warren. My Japanese student asked me what they were doing, and I explained when they were finished.

While I am not a proponent for bringing prayer back in schools, this was an amazing thing for me to witness. We say the Kindness Pledge, the Pledge of Allegiance, and have a moment of silence every morning (which really is NEVER silent), but this was different. These students understood the significance of the inauguration itself and the reason we have prayer.

No matter anyone's political views, you can't argue that January 20th was not a historical event. For me, I was excited to have a president I can believe in (When I heard them announce Obama as the President of the United States before his press conference on the economy I got giggly and told Perry I felt like I was watching West Wing or something. It can't possibly be real), but I also saw a moment I'm sure I won't see again. Students were actively participating in a religious experience at school.

Then the moment was broken. After explaining to Shota what the Lord's Prayer is, applause broke out on screen. Aretha Franklin had taken the stage. She started singing and my students, always full of questions, asked "What's that on her head?"




--- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What the heck, I gave out Obama stickers as prizes during the campaign. Now the lesson for president's day is much more interesting and current!