Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rachel Getting Married


This movie stayed for a few weeks at the art house theater, then just barely got into one of the discount theaters, where I saw it Saturday. A fabulous movie that mixes: (1) a free-flowing Jonathan Demme ("Silence of the Lambs") documentary-style (with "Homicide"-style hand-held cameras) portrayal of a wedding weekend that reminded me a lot of my sister and Serge's New Year's Eve day 1994 (?) wedding, a wedding that produced pictures that helped link Stephanie and me; and (2) a family drama a la Robert Redford's 1980 "Ordinary People." Anne Hathaway (of "The Devil Wears Prada" is fabulous as a troubled woman returning home for her sister's wedding weekend, as is the sister, played by unknown to me Kathleen DeWitt. Debra Winger. as their mother, is virtually unrecognizable. Great movie.

-- Perry




No comments: