Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day


Besides exchanging cards ourselves and Stephanie giving me Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals," Stephanie took in the most loot for Valentine's Day. Stephanie's colleagues from the district office gave her flowers and a nice card, ostensibly for rushing effectively through ESL tests for her students, in the week plus they had left after the ice storm. Stephanie also got loads of candy and cards for her students (and some from her colleagues) (see below).


Vincent and Sam spent the majority of Valentine's Day at our house. They went to Odd Lots to buy "Kung Fu Panda" and ordered pizza, and then I took them to a Valentine's day dance at school (Vincent's last weekend as a Brown School student???) and they hung out some on Bardstown Road. Meanwhile, Stephanie and I watched the romantic comedy/dog movie "Marley and Me" (with lots of fun scenes in South Florida, which I visited for my book and will head back to in May for a conference - plus stories about journalists at papers I know - and some scenes of another city I know), then ate Skyline Chili, then went dining room table shopping at th mall. Late I stopped by the annual church Valentine's Day fund-raiser - this time dessert and dancing with the band led by Ryan, Jessi's brother. Turnout was a little low this year. I ate more desserts than I should have and helped clean up. Ian had been taking prom-type pictures all night, even though he was sick, and I helped them pack up.

-- Perry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An African-American/Philipina family gave their teachers $50 each for V-day at Pineview! But alas, they had to return the cash since it seemed unethical. They were so shocked to receive the $. I told them probably the Asian parent appreciates their teachers since that's part of our culture.