Thursday, March 20, 2008

March Madness


In 1994 after injuring my knee in a car accident, I kicked what turned out to be 13 years of TV addiction - in order at the time to get myself to stay home and rest my knee - by watching many of the NCAA men's Division I basketball championship tournament games (March Madness). More recently, life has begun to get in the way. Ironically, I may watch more of the games during Day 2 (tomorrow) than in recent years (at least after our noon church service) because at the church we have Friday (Good Friday) off. We've lived for the past three years in the "Golden Triangle" of men's college basketball, where three schools whose teams have historically dominated men's basketball (Louisville, Kentucky, and Indiana). This year the men's teams from all three schools are back in the tournament. I believe the Louisville and Kentucky women's teams are also both in the women's tournament. In both tournaments, also, are the two teams from the school that Vincent is looking at most seriously (Western Kentucky), along with the women's team from another school Vincent is looking at (Murray State). Alas, teams from some of our older schools (Florida State, Minnesota, Ohio State) are not in the men's tournament. Some of Stephanie's Southern IN colleagues are Hoosier fans, however, and I've got some allegiance to the coach of the Louisville men's team (the local men's team seeded highest in the tournament (Rick Pitino, pictured above), partly because he was the New York Knicks coach when I was in New York City and first became a Knicks fan. I belatedly have set up a very small, quiet pool at work, and we'll see how many people sign up for it. I will have favorite North Carolina winning the championship, with doctor horse (and nearly local team) Xavier making it into the Final Four. Go Cards!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should you be gambling (pool) at work?!