Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ESL hell

With the return of students to the classrooms I am reminded of some of my more humorous encounters with English as a Second Language (ESL) students and the joy I get working with them. Two of my more memorable and favorite stories relate to hell and the importance of correct pronunciation.

I had just finished teaching a unit on weather. We had read a nonfiction article about a storm that had crossed the U.S. and a fiction story about children who lived through a terrifying tornado. We had talked about storm safety (along with all the required tornado drills that we do). Students had written poems about a particular type of storm and even written fictional accounts of "The day it rained..." (they got to fill in the blank...many of them chose money).

Much like when we had an earthquake just after finishing a unit on the earth, volcanoes, and earthquakes, we had a small hailstorm after this weather unit. Karen, a student I've had for three years, came rushing into my class the next day.

"Mrs. Gregory, Mrs. Gregory! I saw hell."

I politely corrected her, "Karen we call that hail" and then went on to explain what hell was. "Hell is the place where the devil lives." She was horrified and told me she had taught her mom the English word for hail/hell that evening when the storm hit. Her mom and her had even talked to their neighbors (Spanish speakers) about the hail/hell. Now she was going to have to explain that all this time she had been saying a "bad word".

The other more funny story involved Adrian.

We have oratorical reports that the 4th and 5th graders must present. They have to dress up like their historical figure and give their speech (from memory) as if they are that person. Adrian chose Walt Disney. He dressed up in long, dark, dress slacks and a short sleeved button down shirt with a plaid pattern. He even wore dress shoes. He had been practicing his speech for over a week.

He gave his speech before it was time for him to come to my class (the same class with Karen). He had been to recess and his hair, which had obviously been done for the presentation, was now askew. His face was red from running. While typing up his final story on the computer he looked over to me (I was helping another student).

"Mrs. Gregory, how long does hell last?" He knows I go to church and I have been to his Catholic church for several first communions, but for obvious reasons I don't usually talk about church at school. I looked over at Adrian and said "Hell lasts forever Adrian."

He looked at me horrified and confused. "No, Mrs. Gregory, how long does HELL last?" Again I said forever but by this time I was thinking there was a communication problem going on. I finally asked him "Adrian, what are you talking about?"

Adrian slowly pointed to his hair and asked again while pointing "how long does HELL last?" The light bulb went on and I realized what he was asking me.

He had worn GEL in his hair that morning. He had wanted to know how long the GEL would be in his hair. Of course the G is pronounced like an H in Spanish. I could just picture his mother telling him to put the hell in his hair to look nice that morning or even asking at Wal-Mart where the hell was located.

Oh, the joys of ESL hell!

-- Stephanie

No comments: