Friday, January 2, 2009

Knox Community Hospital


After leaving the family Christmas get together in Apple Valley we drove to Mount Vernon to get gas. It was cold and windy. Later we were to learn that with the wind chill it was -15, but we didn't know that at the time. The wind was blowing the car all over the road. We desperately needed gas. Snow was starting to pelt down on the car. Perry insisted on going to a gas station with an ATM so he could pay cash for the gas (goes back to our days of Consumer Credit Counseling). The first gas station's machine wasn't working and Perry got frustrated. We drove to the next gas station being buffeted by the wind.

Perry got out when we got to the BP station. We had parked at the far pump and he was going to just run the card as a debit at the pump but couldn't get the gas cap off. He got frustrated and the last I saw of him was him holding his ears and running into the gas station.

I turned around to argue with Vincent about how soon we would get to Louisville when a tap on the passenger side window startled me. A woman opened the door leaned in and told me my husband was in the station and needed me. All I could think was "did he forget the pin number?", but as I rushed into the station I questioned "why didn't Perry come out?"

I turned to where the woman was gesturing and there was Perry laying on the floor in front of the ATM holding his head and writhing in pain. I thought he had slipped and fallen from melted snow. The attendant, Luann, called the paramedics while a customer, who turned out to be a nurses assistant, told me to get blankets to cover him up and to try to elevate his legs above his heart.

The paramedics arrived in only five minutes. They took his temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure. It turned out his blood pressure was 180/110; normal is 120/80. He admitted he hadn't taken his blood pressure medicine in weeks. Because this blinding headache came on all at once and the blood pressure was so high, the paramedics asked Perry if he wanted to ride in the ambulance or wanted me to take him to the hospital. He chose for me to take him, but I had to ask for directions. It turned out the hospital was only a block and a half a way (even though I did make one wrong turn...I was flustered).



Perry was taken back almost immediately. We were the only ones in the emergency room lobby when we got there. Vincent stayed in the lobby while I went back with Perry. They put him on an IV and heart monitor. They stripped off all his clothes and put him in a quiet room. I was pulled out to fill out the admissions paperwork (insurance) while the doctors worked with Perry.

At one point Perry was laying in a dark room crying and worrying about the dog. I assured him the dog was fine at PetSmart (and wouldn't be allowed in the hospital). I also called Martha and Mom to let them know what was going on. Cousin Diana called and thankfully got in touch with PetSmart for us while I went back in to see how Perry was doing. His blood pressure was lower than it had been but was still high. Soon after he stopped crying the doctors wheeled him back to do a CAT scan. They were looking for signs of a stroke or an aneurysm. He has a family history of aneurysms and vascular problems, so this was doublly worrisome.

The doctors were very quick and brought him back to the room. The CAT scan was 90% certain there were no signs of stroke or aneurysm, but there still was the 10% chance that the blood from the aneurysm was too small to be detected yet. The doctors suggested a lumbar puncture to be 100% certain. The doctor went over the risks, but assured Perry if he were in this position he would have the lumbar puncture himself. By this time Perry was starting to act as his normal self but still had a headache (if not as bad) and his blood pressure, while lower, still wasn't where it should have been. So Perry said yes to the lumbar puncture (which involved the doctor and staff anesthetizing a spot on his mid-back and then sticking in a 4-inch needle to withdraw some spinal fluid - a spinal tap also not unlike the epidural shot that pregnant women sometimes get before deliveries) and again he sent Vincent and me off to PetSmart to get the dog.

Around seven hours after leaving the party, Perry got the all clear. The lumbar puncture came back normal and his blood pressure was down to 117/73. I was back with Vincent and the dog sitting in the car. I had arranged for a hotel room since it was now late and a drive to Kentucky was out. Perry must have felt better and I felt relieved when he said "Do you have the camera? Make sure you get some pictures for the blog."



--- Stephanie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good god, you need to take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Perry, you are not allowed to do this ever again. Don't sweat the small stuff. It will still be there.

Nancy