Friday, January 2, 2009

Washington Avenue

I feel like part of my family's history is tied to Washington Avenue United Methodist Church, even if no one still lives in the neighborhood surrounding it, or even attends on a regular basis. My grandparents were married in the church in a triple wedding by Reverend Rife. My parents were married in the church by Reverend Jenne. Even my now deceased uncle and his wife were married in this Church. I was baptized both as a child and as a youth (the full body baptismal pool is under the choir loft pictured above) there as well. Both Grandma and Grandpa's final services were here. Needless to say, lots of memories are tied to this church and many stories.

Whenever we are in Ohio and it is feasible (sometimes even when it isn't) we manage to get back to my home church. This time was no exception, even if we were late and Perry left early and returned late. Washington Avenue has two student pastors right now, but they had a great service (and very nontraditional and funny). It took me a minute to realize that Nathan's point WAS the disruption Jeremy was making.



It always nice to go back and not just see the building and how it has changed but also the people that make it Washington Avenue. Some of these faces I remember from my youth when Grandma and I would walk to church one block through the alley. Some of the faces like Jean, below, I remember from activities that Grandma was involved in also.



When I was little you never wanted Boyer (pictured below) to have to take you out for misbehavior. Now as an adult who deals with Children's Fellowship at our own church on Wednesday nights I can appreciate the job he had. Peg (also pictured below) has been my own Sunday school teacher off and on for years.



Evelyn (pictured below) used to sit in the pew just behind Grandma and Grandpa. She and Rodger often used to recount stories of my escaping from Babyland. I climbed the stairs up toward the sanctuary where I knew Grandma was. On each step I called out "Grandma?" As I neared the sanctuary (Grandma sitting on the far side by the front door), all the heads were turned as Grandma picked me up. Evelyn also keeps Perry and I informed about the goings on at Washington Avenue and the surrounding area.



Hettie and Ray (pictured with me below) are what help me on Wednesday nights. Ray led Junior Church when I was little (you had to be five to start going and I didn't want to without my friend, Andrea, who was too young, so I waited). I still have the white bible I brought every Sunday to church. I even have the sticker on it that said I brought a friend to church. The bible I received when I graduated from high school is on the living room shelf. But, it is still usually that old white bible Dad got me for my fifth birthday and for the start of Junior Church, that gets pulled down if it needs to be read.



It was great catching up with everyone while we were in Ohio. I wish it could be more regularly, but life moves us on.
--- Stephanie

No comments: