Sunday, June 1, 2008

Another radical cut




Two and a half weeks ago Vincent had nearly three years' worth of long hair cut off, and we're still getting used to it. We rarely get our dog Frisco's hair cut - except for when we need to take him to PetSmart for pet sitting or during the summer. Our veterinarian last month said we ought to get his hair cut, and last week when it suddenly turned hot Frisco faded during a very short 15-minute lunchtime walk. His hair was very long, and he got hot after not too long, and didn't want to walk the final block (which is very unusual - otherwise, only when he is sick or the weather is very bad/cold/rainy/snowy). So yesterday I snuck in an appointment back to the PetSmart pet store that I started out going to when I lived in town (near our main vet's office). It took me a while to get him in there, and when I was there they tried to talk me out of getting it cut real short. Frisco had to wait for four hours for Vincent and I to pick him up on the way back from a movie, but the difference in appearance was perhaps just as radical as with Vincent. Even with the third shortest, he looks totally different - maybe a little more like a puppy. But it makes a big difference in how he feels outside - Remember - dogs don't sweat. They "perspire" mainly by drooling. Plus the car I'm currently driving has no A/C and essentially no power windows, and so almost all the windows are shut. You'd better believe that on the way to the pet store when it was 90 degrees and we were stuck in traffic, both Frisco and I were hot. Now, he feels a lot better. (Above are a couple of pictures of Frisco with us in the past weeks or months - before his hair cut - and then Frisco with the cut [and with a PetSmart staffer]).

No comments: