Thursday, April 3, 2008

Gradye


In December I asked our departing manager whether there was a chance that one of the #2 people in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s Offic eof the General Assembly would be in line to become the Stated Clerk, who runs that office and serves as a kind of spokesperson for the denomination. I thought three-term Stated Clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick's long-time lieutenant, Gradye Parsons, might seek the job (elected by the whole General Assembly - in this case in June). The manager thought not. I have worked with Parsons on a variety of (sometimes tedious) evaluations, both of General Assembly agencies and committees and of the General Assembly meetings themselves. Lo and behold - the news came out today that Parsons is the candidate that the Stated Clerk Nominating Committee has selected to run as Stated Clerk. No doubt Gradye will face opposition - and I've seen more of his administrative and interpersonal skills than his advocacy/face of the denomination skills - and Kirkpatrick, though controversial, is still very popular with many - he may still win. It would be nice to have some in that position with whom I - and my office - have worked closely. I had even talked with Gradye Parsons by phone yesterday, for a project I'm working on tied with the General Asembly.

No comments: