Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Physical therapy



One of my favorite hangouts in Albany was at the Athletic Training Room, a Wolf Road gym and treatment facility for the knee I'd injured in a car-to-pedestrian accident in Manhattan soon before leaving New York City for Albany. I had started physical therapy in Manhattan. After I suffered a neck/back/shoulder injury summer a year and a half ago in Michigan, I had visited several physical therapists here, settling on one finally (Kristin) who I revisited last June, at a new facility (exterior pictured above top) near our home and everything else here (between the church that hosts our Weight Watchers meetings and my counselor's office) (even though it was right after my hernia injury and right before the Guatemala trip and hernia surgery). This fall not enough sleep, bad posture at work, carrying book bags too heavy, and not enough home exercise combined to trigger the neck, back, and right shoulder injury again. So, finally, yesterday and today, I started back seeing Kristin and her team, complete with diagnosis, warm-up, stretching and resistance, cervical traction, electrical stimulation and heating pads, and chiropractice-type "mobilization" by the therapist. It's nice to be back and I hope I'll follow through with a home program, more sleep, etc. I've already re-arranged my office by moving the keyboard to improve my posture. (My Mother, who's been through physical therapy after two or three arthroscopic knee surgeries, has recently added a regimen of two tai chi classes per week and two or three sessions a week with a personal trainer at a women's gym (pictured above bottom) in Tallahassee as she prepares for the first of two conventional knee surgeries in Tallahassee (apparently in June).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to read McKenzie's books! The main thing is to always maintain the curve of your back (lordosis) so that you don't slouch or hurt your back while lifting objects.