Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ironic


I was nervous about going to the dentist today because I feared that a tooth between the two back teeth I got root-canaled a year ago might be in need of root-canaling. Anticipating going to the dentist for the past couple of weeks, I had been flossing and brushing more frequently and, apparently, more ferociously. Ironically, apparently as a result of this brushing - much as often the case with brushing - I had damaged my gums - the area nearest that tooth that had started to feel sore - which had, I realize in hindsight, triggered yet more furious brushing. I always say that the real reason to go to the dentist is to instill fear in yourself, so that you do the preventive flossing and brushing (lest you bleed too much at the dentist, incur costly dental work, and/or get lectured by the dentist). But, in this case, at least with brushing, I would have done better to forget that I was going to be going to the dentist shortly. I've got to lay off the brushing, use sensitive-tooth toothpaste, and hope the gums heal a little. The dentist, Dr. Burton (her office pictured above), rejected the idea of gum grafts - which my father got when he was in his early 30s - as not necessary, yet. (After going to the dentist at least every six months, I skipped going for more than two years after moving to Louisville, as I hoped to get back to my Tallahasse dentist and lacked money - Stephanie and Vincent went. When I went after two years, I needed those two root canals. I have had bad gums for years, partly because of rough brushing, and might often do better just to floss.)

No comments: