Friday, April 4, 2008

Interviewing



It’s been interesting helping interview candidates for a clerical-administrative position and a research assistant position in our office. A year ago I helped a little interview clerical-administrative position candidates, but this morning was the first time since I interviewed here four years plus ago that anyone came from out of town to interview for a job with our office – and, like me, the candidate (pictured to the left) gave a presentation. (Later this month a second candidate - pictured - through the magic of the Internet - apparently at this wedding - above.) Ultimately, others in our office will have the biggest say. Unlike these other positions, these are more grant-dependent positions (even more than my current one) in which the new person would be slated to stay only for about three years. The associate position, which I applied for, will have interviews somewhat later, partly because one of the other candidates isn’t easily available for an interview until May. One big aspect of that is that I plan to travel to Tallahassee in June to be around to help out as my mother goes to conventional knee surgery, and there’s a big project tied to that job that the new person may not be expected to supervise entirely if we’re just doing interviews in May. I won’t be hearing certain things about that job search because I’m now a candidate (for some reason, they didn’t get the first application I sent – when they’d already developed a short list of two candidates – but now may have thrown me in the mix also).

No comments: