Friday, April 11, 2008

Superintendent's visit


Today mom’s handiwork got to be showcased. I came to work this morning to find the head custodian (plant manager) up on a ladder hanging brackets by the office door. When next I came up to the office, my classroom being in the back of the longest hallway, for morning announcements, lo and behold…there was mom’s quilt hung from a black wood rod for all to see (as pictured above). After announcements when all the students follow their teachers back to their rooms, supposedly in a line, all my students were exclaiming, “there’s my square” and pointing for their English speaking students to see. Needless to say throughout the day I was told how wonderful the quilt was by several teachers. But all this isn’t even the best part…

The school superintendent and a school board member were slated to visit this morning. The quilt was hung just before their arrival. The principal, the superintendent, and school board member were all able to discuss the diversity of our school and the creative ways we showcase our diversity. Several minutes were spent in front of the quilt admiring the work of both my students and my mother.

Dr. Brooks, our superintendent (pictured within an earlier blog post), is particularly fond of my ESL students. He made a point of asking about one Japanese student in particular and made it down the hallway, almost before I did, to my classroom. I explained that I don’t pick my students up until at least 9:15; they have to check in with their classroom teachers and take attendance, lunch count, etc. So while he was waiting he talked to Susie, our principal, and the other ESL teacher and then proceeded to read my students’ writing on the bulletin boards. Glad I finished hanging everything before he got there!

After I picked up my students Dr. Brooks et al, came into my room and watched the first part of my lesson. (Just reviewing folktales and their characteristics, since they are writing their own folktales after reading several.) While my students were writing I got to speak with all the adults. I explained the program, student progress, lack of passing state standardized tests, and even pulled out some charts and graphs I had made earlier in the year to help explain what I was speaking about. The school board member said this was the first she heard of some of the information I spoke of, especially the students being required to take state standardized tests in English the first year they are in the states.

But the most interesting part of the morning is when Victor, one of my students that I swear is gifted, gave Dr. Brooks a Mexican lollipop. Most of the Mexican lollipops my students eat are flavored like fruit but then covered with chili powder. Dr. Brooks unwrapped the lollipop to all my students’ joy and popped it in his mouth. His face turned red, his eyes watered, sweat beaded on his forehead, and tears came to his eyes. He asked them how they were able to eat the lollipops. Victor also gave one to the school board member but she politely pocketed it and said she would take it home to her son. I pointed out that if you looked around the room, my students have water bottles with them while they work.

It seems after talking to my principal at the end of the day that the superintendent only visited my room, for about 20-25 minutes and the other ESL teacher’s class for about 2 minutes. He didn’t visit any other classes, which I feel bad for teachers that prepared special plans, but feel like at least this is job security. My students and I have definitely made an impression.

-- Stephanie

2 comments:

Perry said...

Stephanie received a nice note today from the school board member who visited yesterday, which read: "It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to meet your students. I appreciated your passion and dedication."

Anonymous said...

Oh heck, we all know the ells have to take state standardized tests the first year! Who wants to exempt them now that we're under nclb requirements?! Just more paperwork! How did your school do last year for ayp for ells?