Friday, July 18, 2008

Cow Haus

Yesterday at noon I was to pick Martha up from her first day back to work. I got into town around 11:45. I had about 15 minutes to wait before she would come down from her 8th floor office. I didn't have time to go home so I drove around downtown and the surrounding areas exploring.

In the shadow of the DOE building to the south west used to be a bar/concert hall that Perry spent many a night at during his younger years in Tallahassee. I had only been to the Cow Haus once with Perry to see a band that Perry knew (I can't remember ...Slapstick, maybe). Since it was close to the DOE (Department of Education) building where Martha works I thought I would drive over.

I was quite surprised to find that The Cow Haus is no longer there. There is no evidence at all. Instead of a bar and happening joint there were condos everywhere. They looked nice and obviously aren't completely finished. With the price of gasoline living close enough to walk to downtown/work would be great, but the history/infamy of the place has been lost. The place has been sanitized, yuppified, cookie cuttered. Amazing!

After telling Martha I had to driver her by. She hadn't been completely in the know about where exactly The Cow Haus was, but she definitely didn't know condos were there now.


-- Stephanie

1 comment:

That Hank said...

The old Cow Haus building is still there and still a bar, you were just a block off. Now the bar that was the Cow Haus is on Railroad, around the corner from its own home. They keep trying to yuppify the neighborhood, but so far it's not taking over.