Tuesday, July 15, 2008

San Miguel and the princess

Early Sunday evening after all the fire and brimstone had settled down (and Martha had gotten a ride home from the party) I headed over to a friend of mine, Rachel's, new apartment. She has newly moved back into Tallahassee after living in Crawfordville. Her apartment was easy to find and really cute.

I got to meet, again, Rachel's little princess. She was an absolute doll. She put on her tiara for me and wanted me to take pictures. We played red light, green light and this little piggy went to market. She was a little dismayed that my piggies had toe nail polish (rather shabby by this point) that was a reddish color, she thought I had a boo boo. She sat on my lap while Rachel and I caught up. It was a nice end to a hot day. Monday night Rachel's princess was off to her dad's for the week, so Rachel and I got together at one of my favorite restaurants in town, San Miguel's. Rachel told me about her new job working for an insurance company and the break-up of her and Berry. I was sorry to hear about all the trauma/heart ache, but glad that she is a strong person and was moving on to better things. Since they had broken up she got a permanent position at her job, a pay increase, and lost 5 lbs. That sounds like a move in the right direction.

Rachel also mentioned the BBC. The Bradfordville Blues Club was a place Rachel had dragged me to several times while I was living in Tallahassee. I told her we lived very close to the BBC in Louisville, but it is the Bluegrass Brewing Company. She said she sometimes sees Jesse on of Vincent's friends from Hidden Villas at the club. He is a fan of the blues and a musician himself.

My favorite dish at San Miguel's is their San Miguel chili relleno. It is a steamed green pepper (not sure what kind) topped with grilled tomatoes, onions, green chilies, and shrimp, then covered with melted white Mexican cheese. I've tried to replicate the taste at home and haven't yet got it quite right, but I'll keep trying. It is served with Spanish rice and a salad topped with pico de gallo and guacamole. Believe it or not this dish is actually pretty cheap (considering the shrimp). But looking at it served with salsa and chips (maybe a Corona with lime) this is a full meal. No Weight Watchers for this dish.
Our waiter was very polite and allowed me to take his picture. I'm not sure if he was here when we were here but he was very obliging and funny. I can still remember when the paintings on the walls were new. Yep, we've been coming here awhile.
The owner seemed to recognize me. We talked about when Vincent was little and he let Vincent in the back to sell candy bars for a school fundraiser to the cooks and waiters. The owner even bought an add for the flyer that Betton Hills Preporatory School gave out for the performance of Dragons in the Wind, that Vincent performed in 4th grade. Gosh, has it really been that long?

Over all it was a fun, yummy time. I'll have to watch what I eat for the next week (weigh in when I get back if not before) but it was worth it. San Miguel, good friends, Tallahassee sun shine...what else do I need?
-- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We like that restaurant too. Usually we go with the Corbetts, a glassfusing couple in Tallahassee (perhaps you saw Terrie's cat fur ball necklace and Charlie's blue lacey glass platter in the Go Green exhibit).