Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Old and new haunts






Today I took Martha to her rehab appointment for physical therapy. Her appointments are in a shopping plaza very close to home. It used to be where K-Mart was, it was even called the old K-Mart in radio advertisements. Now the whole plaza has been redone with a fancy Publix. Martha's rehab facility is in the one older building that has until now struggled to keep tenants. But to my surprise and pleasure it was also across the street from Lake Ella, where Vincent and I would go almost every Sunday after church to enjoy the tree and the walk around the lake.

While Martha went back to physical therapy I chit chatted briefly with a couple that were waiting to be called back. The woman was interested in advice about digital cameras, but this led to a discussion of my profession and eventually where I teach. I explained that I wasn't really living here (Tallahassee) any more, but was living in Kentucky and teaching in Indiana. She smiled, laughed, nodded, and said "Do you live in Louisville?" You can only imagine my surprise. We had a nice chat which ended up talking about Joe Hubers of all things.

I then quickly went to Quarter Moon, a funky, more independent and hippie version of Pier One. I used to love going there just for the atmosphere if nothing else (usually because I had no money to really spend). I walked around smelling the incense and realizing that a lot of the things that were in the shop I wouldn't wear even if they were in my size. But after long debating with myself I did make a purchase. We'll see if it makes it home in one piece and if what I envision for it actually turns out...that will have to be for another blog entry.

I also visited other stores before picking up Martha but none of them were interesting/nostalgia inducing. But later that day I did run an errand for Martha to Lowes. On the way back I drove by our old apartment complex. The sign is the same, but I was disappointed to see the lack of care given to the grounds. There were weeds growing in the bushes by our old apartment and the beautiful palm tree that cast its shadow on the wall of our building has been cut down. Now a weed and two satellite dishes stand in the grassy area where Frisco first romped in the grass and growled at the sound of the pampas grass swaying in the wind.

It was all a little depressing to see how things change. Some things have become nicer and are no longer eye sores (i.e. the old K-Mart/new Publix) but others seem to have gone down hill.

-- Stephanie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long are you staying in Tally? Will you have time to get together? We're leaving here 7/15 and returning 7/31, to visit my family in SFL and take my dad for cataract surgery. The three photo poems that Mark and I collaborated on are at the FSU MoFA until tomorrow 7/11. We're picking up the work on Monday 7/14. Hope you and Martha can make it today or tomorrow. Call us when you get a chance: 850-504-1367/850-345-1485.

Perry said...

Stephanie - can you try to see Mark and Sara's work Friday?

Anonymous said...

Martha, that is a great photo of you!

Nancy