Monday, July 7, 2008

Moon over Birmingham



Ever since reading the Southern Sisters series by Ann George about a retired English teacher (I hopefully one day can relate), her rich, eccentric sister, Woofer (the older, loyal dog), and Vulcan, I have wanted to see the bigger than life statue of Vulcan that stands on Red Mountain in Birmingham. In some of the books he has more detailed descriptions of other attributes, but in general he over looks Birmingham and represents the iron and steel industry that Birmingham was built on.

Last summer I thought I would finally have my chance. Perry, Vincent, and I were going to visit Tallahassee for Pete and Ysonde's anniversary party and only later, after our arrangements were made, we found out Julian's funeral. Vincent and I still had a few more days of school left, but Perry got a rental car and drove with three turtles and the dog to Birmingham. Vincent and I flew to Birmingham the following day where Perry was to pick us up by rental car and drive us on to Tallahassee...turtles don't fly well and it was cheaper for two flights vs. three...plus the Birmingham flight was cheaper than the Tallahassee flight.

After a no hassel flight to Birmingham Vincent and I waited for Perry to pick us up at the arriving flights baggage claim. He was late claiming traffic problems. Little did we know of the traffic problems of Birmingham. We tried to leave the most dirrect way to Tallahassee via 65 but had problems with too much traffic sitting on the freeway and not going anywhere.

We decided this was my chance to see Vulcan and wait out the traffic jam. We drove around Red Mountain found the statue, which we only got to see the front of because we were trying to get to the anniversary party. Eventually we wound our way back down to the freeways and after much frustration found back roads to Tallahassee that got us there much too late for the party and made us drive through smokey (because of all the wild fires), dark, two-lane, and even sometimes dirt roads. But while I made it to Tallahassee I really didn't get to see and appreciate the Vulcan statue the way I wanted to.

Yesterday while driving to Tallahassee to help with Martha's knee surgery rehab I drove through Birminham. All I could think is maybe this time I could really see Vulcan. But time was pressing (I wanted to get through Montgomery and even Dothan , if possible, before night fall), rain was pouring down, and road maps are harder to read if your by yourself, so I still have yet to see the real moon of Birmingham.

Maybe next year.

-- Stephanie

No comments: