Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First outing




Today, Martha and I went out for a first outing. We first drove to the library to drop off a bag and several arm loads of books that she had conceded to giving up. I had looked through some of them and held a few back to peruse before going ahead and donating them to the Leon county library. Martha stayed in the car while I made the trips up to donate the books and movies (that I had brought down to donate as well...partly from guilt from having several books that I borrowed from the Tallahassee library when I lived here that I haven't returned yet).

We next went to the bank. Since I was driving I got to choose which branch to go to. I chose to drive to Mahan Drive branch where I used to work. It was a little odd to go in and not recognize anyone but definitely recognize the building and surroundings. Martha seemed to do OK with getting in to the car but getting out seems to be harder for her.

We next went off to do a little sight seeing. Martha said she had heard of two new sub-divisions that she wanted to see and show me. One, Evening Rose (model home shown above), was very close to the Mahan Dr. bank branch we had visited, but she wasn't sure what road to turn off of. We found it after passing the rather subdued entrance the first time. The Evening Rose sub-division seemed to have a very similar concept to the Norton Commons that we have in Louisville, recreating old time walkable neighborhoods with mixed use housing and retail. It was nice and I actually thought the architecture was much better than some of the cookie-cutter, white bread housing developments you can find in anywhere U.S.A. The multi-family housing was very appealing (hint...I really liked it, if we were to move back).

After exploring Evening Rose, we then drove off to find Falls Chase off of Buck Lake Rd. We did find a brand new Costco and Wal-Mart but drove too far and were probably talking away, so missed the Falls Chase development. Martha filled me in on the new schools and housing that is going up in that area. We did get to see a little of Goose Creek (ie. cookie-cutter, white bread...bland) housing development.

Our next stop was Target. I personally find Target fun to shop at. It isn't overwhelmingly large, over priced, or crowded. Martha was able to use the electric carts and we found the fitted sheets for her new mattress that we were looking for. We were even able to find the color she was looking for, that she said she hadn't been able to find in years, in the new bamboo/cotton blend. We also found wash cloths to replace the ones she had, even if we were a little startled by the price.

We also got gas and went through the drive through at Wendy's, some place I haven't been in a while. Martha still doesn't have much of an appetite and took a nap after we got home. She's napping again now, but she doesn't seem to nap for long.

Tomorrow is rehab and maybe some more outings. I want to get her so that she feels more able to do things on her own for when we are all gone. We'll see how that continues.


-- Stephanie

No comments: