Thursday, July 31, 2008

Greek night

I'm not really a "Dancing Queen", but I have been known to exclaim "Momma Mia!" "Money, Money, Money" is sometimes a topic of conversation (or blog entries...see June). So when Sarah called and we tried to come up with a theme night for an outing we came up with Momma Mia (the movie) and Greek food. This was of course after discounting Survivor Jamestown at the Frazier Arms Museum (which sounded fun until we thought of what kind of food would go with Jamestown...bland English food...turkey legs...not really appealing in 96 degree heat).

The original plan was for Sarah to meet me at our house to see the dining room paint job that is now finished before heading off to the movies and then dinner. I went in to school yesterday and had technical problems using my computer (the techs ghosted my teachers computer and may have deleted thousands of translated documents...and tests I've created). Needless to say after this technological glitch and the ensuing phone calls to the tech department I was late leaving to get back to the house. While sitting on the Kennedy bridge and not really budging (with no air-conditioning and 96 degree heat) I called Sarah to tell her I was going to be late. I got Sarah's voice-mail because she was calling me with the same change of plans (her pastoral visit to a family turned into something a little more than she expected). The new plan turned into meeting at the movie and skipping the dining room peek.

We got to the movie just in time to catch the last of the previews (something Perry hates). Sarah has seen the actual musical Momma Mia so knew what the basic plot line was. We laughed out loud at parts and even got a little teary-eyed at the smarmy parts. All in all it was a pleasant movie, but it was hard to get over James Bond singing ABBA love songs. I have liked Pierce Brosnan from Remington Steele days but this was a role I don't think I EVER imagined for him.

After the movie and an aborted attempt to go to Omar's Gyros on Bardstown (which seemed to have gone out of business) we ended up at Pita Delite on Grinstead. I've driven by this restaurant many times thinking "oh, someday I should try that cute little sandwich shop." Well, I'm glad we did. After a dinner of rice with lentils, Greek salad, and gyro (Sarah had the moussaka which looked great) we went for the homemade pistachio baklava, which the waiter had suggested. The only thing that would have made the baklava better would have been a dollop of vanilla ice cream. The waiter explained that they have a call list for when they have the homemade baklava. Hashim the owner only makes it once a month. I think I might try to get added to the call list it was excellent.

-- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your last two blogs (one from each of you). Blogs even though you are traveling (Perry) and far away. Stephanie, it must seem like a vacation not to have to cook for everyone.

Off to physical therapy.