Saturday, July 12, 2008

Things change

After looking at the art exhibit yesterday, I decided to drive a little around campus. Last time I was here, in Tallahassee, I saw lots of construction. This time around lots of roads twisted and turned around buildings that didn't even exist before. After driving around somewhat aimlessly for awhile I came up on a site I recognized. Lo and behold there was CIES (Center for Intensive English Studies) where I had taken several classes for my master's degree.

Vincent went to some classes with me and I remember the time he raised his hand after one lecture and asked a question relating to the topic of the lecture. "What is TPR?" he asked rather intelligently for a seven year-old with no education background (besides attending kindergarten and 1st and 2nd grade) sitting in a master's program class. The professor, Dr. Jenks, explained the teaching approach to all of us (some of us were too shy to ask the question ourselves), and later on the porch during break spoke to me. I figured he would be upset about having a kid in class and asking questions, no less, but he seemed to be impressed with Vincent, both because at seven he had been able to follow his lecture, but also had the courage to ask an adult a question in a rather intimidating atmosphere...Grad School.


Sara had told me that our friend Maria was now working at CIES and was thinking about giving up working on her Ph.d. I stopped by to talk to her and catch up with old times but she had already gone for the day. Friday seems to be the day they do their field trips (which I remembered in hind-sight but had forgotten being gone so long).

Since Maria wasn't there I continued exploring campus via car. I found the new building for the college of medicine (there was no such thing when I attended FSU). A lot of the new buildings follow the brick architecture, which I must admit looks a heck of a lot better than the 60s architecture (or older) of the buildings some of my classes were in ie. Carothers. I even got to drive on Pensacola until the dead end, where they now have built lots of fountains and statues.

It still seemed odd, but at the same time, I thought, hmm..."Would Vincent like to go here? It may be different now, but I certainly did a lot of growing up and maturing at FSU."



-- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, the campus sure has changed!
Sorry you missed Maria. She's in Orlando for the weekend with her dad. Perhaps you can catch her later.