Monday, July 7, 2008

Trans America


On the last showing of the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival's final movie, Oscar-nominated Felicity Huffmann - of "Desperate Housewives" - shined as a man turning into a self-conscious woman in "Trans America." Since I don't read reviews, I thought that the title referred totally to the gender change, when in fact this is a crossing the country on backroads movie, somewhat like "Rain Man." It also reminded me of two more recent movies: "Into the Wild" and "Little Miss Sunshine." The wacky family intrigue of the latter movie also harkens back to some of the family complications here (although these get real complicated - and more surprising for me because I missed the beginning). Huffman's character's teenage sidekick and several character actors that appear in the movie also shine. I thought this was going to be a depressing movie (perhaps like the darker "Boys Don't Cry"?) - and that's one reason why I didn't press Stephanie to go - but it was both funny and upsetting in places (plus with a good soundtrack).

No comments: