Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dinner and art

Sara, Mark, Martha, and I met on Thursday night to go to Sahara's Lebanese restaurant on St. Augustine rd across from Cabo's. I believe it is the same place we met and had dinner the last time we were in town. We had a nice dinner and were able to catch up on lots of things. Mark, Sara, and Martha were able to compare stories of living and working in Japan. We also laughed at stories of Sara being mistaken for Perry and Penny's little sister because of the same last name. Then we talked about Philip who played in Perry and Penny's trio. We all agreed the world's concept of ethnicity has changed.

During dinner Mark and Sara talked about their art exhibit they had collaborated on. I had seen pictures and heard about the exhibit Mark had done with his sculpture and poetry illustrating the books his grandparents had made. Both the new Go Green exhibit and the sculpture exhibit were still on display until Friday at the FSU Museum of Fine Arts. I vowed I would visit it before it disappeared and even asked if I could take pictures (before I took them...hint).



Some of the art exhibits would be disturbing to Vincent. He doesn't particularly like the skate board culture and mowing the yard with the reel mower is his job. Adding a bike to make it a riding mower for art would probably bring back bad feelings (heat, sweat, exhaustion) for Vincent.


Two pieces that were in the upstairs art exhibit reminded me of the quilt show mom and I went to in Pickerington. The pieces were made from metal but resembled quilt squares with a Florida flare, a little like Andrew and Jan's art piece they have hanging at their house (I love that piece).

Sara and Mark were key in getting this exhibit together. Click on the picture of the Go Green sign for a bigger picture. It lists all the collaborators.

Click on Mother Nature for a close up of the details. Notice in particular the Bush/Cheney sign that the man in her hand is holding!

I really liked this piece. Using used ammunition boxes and having nature take over reminds me of what I think would happen at the end of the world. People may blow themselves to smithereens but plants will reclaim the world in one form or another. I often think this when I am bent over pulling weeds from between the cracks of our brick sidewalk. Nature wants the yard back!



Mark wrote the poems for these three pieces. Then they juxtaposed them on Sara's photography. The whole exhibit was good and I spent about a half hour looking at all the pieces. Of course it also reminded me that this was a resource at FSU that I never really used. It was a quiet but peaceful time and I really liked all the art.

-- Stephanie

No comments: