Thursday, July 17, 2008

Siyaya

Wednesday night after my quick trip to Wakulla Springs, Martha and I went to see Siyaya perform at Faith Presbyterian Church. Siyaya is a performance group for young adults from local townships around Cape Town, South Africa. Their performances help to teach about HIV/AIDS which is an epidemic throughout much of Africa. They mix singing (both traditional and modern styles) with dancing (again traditional and modern) to appeal to all age groups.

Martha and I were able to get into the building using a handicap accessible entrance. Faith is also her voting place in the fall, so it was good to find the handicap entrance. We also were able to get seats only one row from the front. I think this allowed Martha to follow what was happening better, even if it was a little loud at times.

Dr. Spiwo Xapile spoke briefly before the performance to give us some background information about Siyaya. He pointed out that the J.L. Zwane Siyaya center was first started with help from the Presbyterian churches of Pensacola. He thanked the Presbytery of Florida and the pastors who were at the performance. I found that particularly interesting given Perry and my contacts with mission work/missionaries through the Presbyterian Center and through are own church and mission trips.

The performances started out interesting and lively. Children from all over the audience moved up to see better. They were enthralled with everything. Martha seemed to enjoy watching the children's enjoyment. She even noted that one little boy slept through most of it (I'm not sure how since the show was loud and energetic).

After several songs all sung in African languages (with translations provided in the program) that many people weren't familiar with, Nkcubeko Mondleki, the tenor singer of the group, sang O Sole Mio. He was able to hold the long notes and did a wonderful job. How he was able to dance and sing so strongly amazes me (all the singers danced very vigorously). When he finished singing he received a standing ovation.

The group then went on to sing You Raise Me Up in English. This brought tears to my eyes since it reminded me of my Grandma who was such a support to me and my Mom and her health struggles.

Nontuthuzelo Nyiki sang Pata-Pata and pulled someone from the audience to do the Pata-Pata dance with her. The audience member did a fair job. When no one else in the audience started dancing (I would have but I didn't want to be the first) she switched to The Lion Sleeps Tonight from The Lion King. She sang and then the audience sang back. It was astounding to hear the normally quiet Presbyterians sing with so much enthusiasm. I'm not sure Martha sang or even knew the song, but the children beside us definitely knew it. You could tell all the performers were enjoying themselves and worked hard. Singing and dancing while not losing your breath can be hard, but they out did themselves with step dancing and traditional dancing. Martha even joked that they wouldn't need Weight Watchers because they do so much activity.
-- Stephanie

No comments: