Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bicentennial quilt show









Saturday when I arrived in Ohio, mom was anxious to get to a quilt show at the new Pickerington high school. Mom has recently started quilting thanks in part to my students, so had a particular interest in the show. It was a short drive from her house and got us out since Bob wasn't feeling well.

When we arrived we found that it was a quilt show/fund raiser for the Violet Township Bicentennial. All the quilts were in some way related to Violet township and we even were asked to vote on our favorites in different categories.

While I have a limited knowledge of quilts ( I just know what is pretty), mom was able to understand more of the intricacies of the projects shown. They even had some antique quilts that reminded me of some that my grandmother had.

Grandma always talked about the blue and white one that she hand made when she was eight. She had trouble making all the points meet correctly and her mother kept making her take it apart and do it over to get it correct. Eventually after doing this several times and her father hearing her complain, her father argued with her mother to just let her keep going. Now when you look at the quilt you see that no piece lines up the way it is supposed to. Instead of the road to (somewhere...I forget the real name of the pattern) it is now the road to nowhere. Needless to say there was no quilt at this show quite like that. These were very finished pieces.

Mom even talked to some of the quilters, volunteers, and vendors. One vendor was selling kits and advertising for quilting classes at her Lancaster shop. She had a pattern for an OSU sweatshirt jacket that mom liked, but I was more taken by the Wizard of Oz sweatshirt jacket that featured Dorothy and Frisco, I mean, Toto. Mom was a little hesitant to sign up for classes in August because of her uncertainty with her chemotherapy.

Overall this was a nice show and a fun outing for mom and I, even if I don't know very much about quilting or sewing for that matter. As I told the people at the quilt show, I have the best way of quilting yet, I pick up the phone and call mom.

-- Stephanie

No comments: