Friday, June 20, 2008

Schimpff's




Today (Thursday) on the way to a hair-cutting appointment, Stephanie and I met in downtown Jeffersonvile (increasingly chi chi and cute even as the city centers of all three Suothern Indiana river cities [New Albany, Clarksville, and Jeffersonville] still suffer – the Indiana Ohio River town right across the river from my office where I got my hair cut and where I’ve volunteered for a Congressional campaign (half way between where Stephanie works in New Albany and where I work – to eat at Schimpff’s, which is an old-fashioned candy factory and store with a little luncheonette. We both had sandwich, soup, and salad as I rushed off for my haircut. Although neither of us caught the tour that started as I left, Stephanie did pick up some surprise candy for a family member she’ll see this weekend. Stephanie’s students will perform a play Friday, a play they put together with Indiana University Southeast colleagues of Stephanie’s who have been coming most days to help out (although last summer Stephanie had nearly a dozen education major students help out for the three weeks of summer school that year). To Stephanie’s kids: break a leg!

For more on Schimpff's, see: http://www.schimpffs.com/

Also - check out Muth's candy store back in Louisville, in my old neighborhood, Phoenix Hill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! My 3 ESOL kids did readers' theater during The Story reception on May 23. They also got a lot of help from an FSU grad student.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie brought me several hard candies from this great candy store. Now I will put it on my list of places to visit when I go back to Louisville this fall after chemo is over.

Mom