Monday, June 23, 2008

No dogs allowed


Saturday as I was getting ready to head out for Ohio to visit my mom, I called to see if there was anything mom and Bob wanted me to bring. The only thing they wanted was homegrown/ fresh tomatoes ie. no salmonella. There is a farmer's market at the church where Perry and I attend Weight Watchers. It is only a few blocks from the house and I can get on the freeway fairly easily from Shelbyville road where it sits. It also is only a few blocks from Feeder's Supply where I needed to pick up dog food for Frisco. So this seemed to be a fairly easy task.

I packed the car with my bags, the dog's food box sans food, and what little extras I was bringing up. I figured I would stop at the farmer's market, then onto Feeder's Supply, and then on to Ohio. All of this should be one swell swoop.

I found the Beargrass Christian Church farmer's market swamped. It was huge with live music and beautiful flowers for sale (I saw these as I circled looking for a parking spot). I contemplated...hmm..., leave the dog in the car with the windows cracked, it was only 76 degrees and it would be a few minutes, or take him with me and do the shopping fast. Here in Louisville it is against the law to leave a dog unattended in a car, don't ask us how we know this. The two police officers patrolling the parking lot sealed my decision making.

I quickly walked with Frisco to the entrance of the farmer's market where I skirted around a cute little gray daschund. After walking all the way to the back of the market I found a stand run by an Amish family that had tomatoes for sale. Bob had asked for 5 lbs so I started gathering them up. I ended up buying her out (except for three small ones). On the way back I had to go down a different aisle to avoid a white poodle since Frisco isn't always kind to other dogs.

Of course just as I was leaving I was stopped by an event organizer. It seems dogs aren't allowed at the farmer's market. I explained I was leaving, but I wonder if he saw the other dogs and said anything to their owners.

Needless to say Frisco was allowed in Feeder's Supply where he got to run around and even get a doggie treat (he isn't supposed to have any but every once in awhile...). He sniffed pretty vigorously at the Greenies before we purchased his senior dog food for dogs 7+.

-- Stephanie

No comments: