Thursday, June 5, 2008

Play ball



Tuesday, my first day of summer vacation and my first day to sleep in, started with lightning and thunder waking me even earlier than my lately, normal time. 5:30 found me letting the dog out, getting water, and eventually reading because between the lightning, thunder, and dog growls (at the thunder) getting back to sleep seemed impossible. But never doubt the power of a dull book, I was able to get back to sleep, at least for a little while.

Later in the day, once the rain had dissipated, dad called to say he would not be coming down for our Churchill Downs day. It seems he had eviction papers to file and attorney conferences to attend. I looked for dresses to wear to Churchill Downs but was pleasantly surprised to find that the one dress in my size was TOO BIG! Maybe the Weight Watchers thing is working.

Angie, the language minority coordinator for our school district and good friend, called to invite me to a Louisville Bats' game. She knew the boys were gone and her husband needed to work. She has season tickets that are in the first row behind the practice pitcher's mound. She has given Perry and I tickets before when she was unable to attend the games. There is something about actually being able to see what is happening that makes baseball a little more fun. I hesitated to tell her that the last time Perry and I went to a Bats' game I had cheered on my hometown team Columbus Clippers to victory. But I restrained myself and didn't wear my Clippers t-shirt. Which was fine since the Bats' played the Toledo Mud Hens.

While the game wasn't very interesting, only about seven runs the whole game, two of them being for the Mud Hens, it was a fun evening out. I got my traditional lemon shake-up. There is just something about lemonade on a hot sticky day. I got to see lots of practice up close (pitcher Matt Maloney pictured) and to catch up with a friend about the goings on in the administrative side of education.


--- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful to be on vacation finally! My first day was Wed 6/4. Mark's mom is in town until 6/10. Today we're going to the FL Caverns in Mariana.