Sunday, June 29, 2008

Blast from the past


The whole late evening Presbyterian General Assembly YAD caucus of young people scenario reminded me very much of the state caucuses at the four National Latin Conventions I attended in high school. We met after dinner and all evening events – usually in the lounge of whatever dorm we were staying in – with student and faculty delegation heads lead the meetings. In July 1979 at Michigan State University I was the incoming Florida Junior Classical League president and so I led the meetings (along with Bradenton Bayshore High School Latin teacher Joe Gilpin). There we debriefed about the day, made announcements, and made plans for the next day.

Also, when I got to East Oakland late and couldn’t get into Guy and Michelle’s house and so slept for a while in my rental car, I almost expected this because the exact same thing had happened to me 51 weeks earlier. A year last night (Wednesday night- by days of the week) I flew to the Baltimore airport, got lost and got to Chris and Sabina’s at 3:30 a.m., slept for an hour plus in my rental SUV, until sitting at their front steps doing work (just as I did on Guy and Michelle’s East Oakland steps) a little later. Then when Chris and Sabina (or Guy and Michelle) got up I had breakfast with them before they went to work. In VA/DC, however, I had to spend the whole day in a stressful passport effort and then drive to Charlottesville, then much of the night) (tonight a year ago) through West Virginia, to work to finish a big project (one finalized this past week), then finish packing with Vincent and Stephanie to get ready to arrive at the Louisville airport at 5 a.m. to go to Guatemala for eight days, before making two key presentations at work the next day. The past week has been less stressful than that, but – predictably – I still got less sleep that I had hoped. Still, there are bits of all of this that make for good memories (certainly, visiting with Chris and Sabina – and even Chris at work during the day; and with Penny, Serge, and Jacob in their new home; and the mission trip) that are good memories.

I was reminded of the anniversary because tonight (Thusday night) (as we speak) is the NBA draft (Buckeye first-year student turned Portland Trailblazer - and 2007 #1 draft choice - Greg Oden pictured above), and I listened to the draft and analysis of it a year ago tonight as I drive aimlessly through Manassas, Virginia, during my most unpleasant 2-hour turns into 4 ½-hour drive from DC to Charlottesville.

I also remembered the Guatemala trip because tonight I read an updated analysis of Guatemala culture, politics, and economics, partly in time for a 10 a.m. meeting of 3-4 church people Friday that will mark the one-year anniversary of our flight to Guatemala.

Here’s to good memories good and bad, stressful and not so stressful.

No comments: