Saturday, June 7, 2008

From Saturday through Monday


I left Mom around 7:30 p.m., after she was trying to go to the bathroom before going to sleep. Mom was still using the catheter but had gotten up to try to go to the bathroom on the commode, which was good exercise for her but tired her out and didn't work out otherwise. She's been taking pain medication regularly and just didn't get much sleep for 2-3 days with all of the poking and prodding, and so she's cumulatively worn out, I think, and - now, several days out from surgery - she's trying to catch up sleep. During most of the day today she was more awake than usual, but by the time I left she was pretty zonked. Because of the timing of when I arrived today and me leaving when she was trying to go to the bathroom, I haven't actually seen her moving around today - she sat in the chair again for about three hours and the physical therapist worked with her twice today. Hopefully Sunday - although I'm going to try to go to church and after church out to lunch with Mom's friends - I'll get to see her in action.

I did stop by after leaving at the two remaining rehab clinic - Consulate (formerly Tandem - pictured above and right) off what we used to call the WTAL trail - near the credit union office for Stephanie worked for three years - which is half a nursing home, but seemed fine, a tad newer and better kept looking than the TMH facility (which is apparently full - Consulate seemed to have extra rooms), and then Health South, where Mom was originally to go and which was more elaborate and like the TMH facility was rehab only - with big gym answers (including one where patients can come back to use the equipment outpatient later) and also wings for patients with arguably even more serious problems (strokes, head injuries, etc.). But the man who showed me around (I have taken some pictures of all of these patients) admitted something the marketing person who stopped by at the hospital Thursday and Friday had not admitted at the time: that it's no always easy for single knee replacement patients to get cleared by the their insurance companies to go to Health South. At least I can picture all three of these places where Mom may go Monday. She may end up at Consulate, becuase TMH is full and Health South Blue Cross might not pay for.

No comments: