Saturday, June 7, 2008

Familiar places


Throughout the week I have occasionally done things to harken back to old Tallahassee memories. In search of some data for a project I'm supposed to make a presentation about in Boston in August, back on Tuesday I roamed the halls of some of the Florida state Capitol building, where I used to cover the Florida Legislature. Mom and I went out to eat Tuesday at two favorite Tallahassee restaurants, Hopkins Eatery (for lunch) and San Miguels Mexican restaurant (for dinner) (we had lunch there a year and two weeks ago Sunday - same manager who bought an ad for the restaurant for the program for Vincent's 4th grade play at Betton Hills Preparatory School).

On Tuesday after just an hour or two driving around town, I had already run into two former politicians whom I used to cover, know, or support - Curtis Richardson, who was a state representative for several years, and Steve Meisburg, a folk singer who Stephanie and I have seen play, once the pastor of my family's first church in Tallahassee, and then a Tallahassee mayor-city commissioner.

One of these nights I drove through the grounds of Hidden Villas apartments, where Stephanie, Vincent, and Frisco lived for two years.

Today I went out to eat at King Chinese buffet, one of the Chinese buffets where Stephanie, Vincent, and I used to eat and which used to be Lucy Ho's original Chinese restaurant in town, where Penny was once a bartender and where Vincent had gone with one of his Betton Hills classes. I capped off the night with a walk around Lake Ella (pictured above at night - where all of us have walked - it even made it on Stephanie and Vincent's early post-moving-to-Tallahsasee videotape), which - even though it was dark - was popular place at 9:30 p.m. Saturday for couples - both white and black - to be walking on.

Today I've gotten to talk with a few more people: Sara and Pete and exchanged messages with Brant.

No comments: