Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The other New Albany


Driving from Mom's to Dad's I took the back roads, much like I used to do when I lived in Ohio. Tollgate and Mink roads both have more houses but are still for the most part recognizable from the past, or so I thought. Eventually I couldn't find where I knew there should be a turn. The side street names weren't familiar. I ended up turning down one of these side streets to the west knowing I was going to far east, and of course not wanting to back track!

I found signs saying I was in New Albany but it certainly didn't look like the New Albany I remembered. There were houses and stores and restaurants everywhere (not the restaurant I was looking for...Eagle Villas Pizza which is in the old general store for the original New Albany). I didn't want to declare defeat and have to call directory assistance on the cell phone, especially since I chastise Perry for this when the Sprint bill comes, I turned down several more random streets but in what I thought was the general direction I wanted.

Finally things started to look familiar again. I even found the pizza shop but not before passing it because things look so different and having to turn around in the parking lot of one of the New Albany elementary schools that have been built since I left. Probably one that Vincent might have gone to if we would have stayed (if it were built in time).

I was able to order our pizza for lunch and find my way to Dad's but not before passing more fancy houses and thinking how much things have changed. I guess what they say about never being able to go home is true. While it is still home it doesn't stay the way you remember it life for you and everyone else continues to go on.

-- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're in OH now! We visited nephew and girlfriend in Athens, saw Ash Cave in Hocking Hills area, stayed overnight with aunt and uncle in Granville(home of Dennison Univ) and then on to Mentor. Tomorrow we go down to Mainville for brother's wedding/rehearsal and stay nights in Oxford (home of Miami Univ). Were we near New Albany??!! The name looks familiar, probably from looking at the OH map.