Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Junes past



Three and four years ago in June I got a taste of life with Vincent and Frisco – without Stephanie – Frisco had spent almost his whole life with Stephanie and Vincent – except when I was also around some, mainly in Minnesota – but then four years ago when I moved to Louisville and Stephanie and Vincent were in Macomb, Illinois, at my old apartment (no pets allowed), Frisco stayed for two months with me in my new Louisville apartment (see “ “). I drove home (6 minutes) almost every day at lunch to walk him in the hot sun. For some reason, I continued to go out to eat dinner a lot, even though this was complicated with Frisco.

Then, three years ago, I moved in to our house in St. Matthews – then helped move Stephanie, Vincent, and Frisco up – and then Stephanie headed back to Macomb – and Vincent and I – having never spent more than 12 hours alone together – spent the entire month of June alone together – plus Frisco and the turtles (five of six of us). Stephanie and we visited each other several times during the month, Vincent took two community college classes – a fitness class where we walked across the Ohio River to Indiana and back every morning at 8 a.m. and a History and Sociology of Rock Music class (a humanities class), and Vincent and I – for extra credit for him – went to see one of four artists his class focused on (Bob Dylan) in the baseball stadium near my office the night before his final. We actually got along pretty well, I cooked, we went out for lunch downtown every day after his classes, and I even did some phone interviews for a paper while he was there. In July – I think – he headed off to his father’s, having spent most of the summer he was to spend with us just with me. (His community college also took place just a block from the high school – Brown – he’d already been admitted to – and the bus he took home every day after lunch with me is the same bus he usually takes home from school – so he got used to parts of Louisville that would become very important in his life).

Here's to good memories of Junes gone by!

No comments: