Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer projects and power tools




Each summer it seems I try to get something done. My projects are varied and usually take much longer than I plan. The first summer here in Louisville I finally stained a bookshelf that my dad had bought me back when I lived in Westerville. That was my first attempt at something new, except for when I put the ceiling fan up in the Martha's family room (I didn't know that the ceiling fan would need extra support and cracked the ceiling, but electrically I got all the wires right).

Staining the bookshelf was much easier than I expected and I felt more confident last summer with my new endeavors. Perry had walked the dog early on a Saturday morning and found a yard sale with white wicker lawn furniture for sale. We have a "Florida Room" that was empty except for a few items, but essentially nothing to sit on. I went over to investigate and ended up buying the wicker love seat, table, and chaise lounge, along with a color TV and stand for less than $100. The wicker furniture needed cleaning, minor repairs, and painting. So off I went to one of the local hardware stores where you can still get people to help you ie., not Home Depot or Lowes. They explained everything I needed to do, so armed with all my equipment, of course purchased at their store, I returned to the backyard, the scene from the previous summers work. I cleaned. I rewrapped. I spray painted. Voila, a whole room of furniture for less than what I would have paid for one piece.

But then I got over confident. We purchased an old dresser for Vincent at an antique store near our home for only $50. It was in need of stripping, sanding, and restaining. No problem, right? Well needless to say, I was off to another local hardware store to learn how. The stripping was easy but time consuming. The sanding was a different matter. As naive as I was, I thought I could hand sand the whole dresser. After hand sanding two of the five drawers I was off to Sears to purchase an electric sander after mom suggested it. I added to my power tool collection (I also have a drill and electric screw driver set). The sanding and staining didn't finally get finished till fall, but then the next problem set in. After I had sanded, stained, and then lacquered everything the drawers weren't easy to open (they only had grooves and no handles). Another trip, this time to Target for drawer pulls. I used my electric drill and added drawer pulls. I even was able to line them up correctly thanks to mom's "measure twice, drill once".

This summer I'm trying something a little more normal. While the boys are gone I'm trying to finally paint the living room, dining room, and hallway. Perry and I have already painted our bedroom and the spare bedroom, again they both took much longer than we expected. I'll have to strip the ugly navy blue wallpaper from the dining room and the border from the living room. I purchased the paint at good ol' Sherwin Williams. This time so far the hardest part has been deciding on a color, Recycled Glass. I've started in the hallway. It is little and we have to pass through it to get upstairs, to the bedrooms, or the bathroom. I should get that done before there are more people traipsing through the area. This morning I painted the ceiling with a brush since I couldn't use a roller, too many small turns and not enough area. I'm waiting for it to dry to see if I need to go over it. I've also started spackling the walls where they were in bad shape, something Perry didn't even know how to do.

I guess I am a product of my dad, who is a handyman because he doesn't like to spend money, and my mom, who with five brothers and a summer job working a metal lathe has her own collection of power tools. I laugh at the Sears advertisements for Father's Day. Perry wouldn't know what to do with some of the tools. Where I'm the one that usually is mechanically inclined. Perry can keep doing the dusting and laundry. I'll keep mowing the yard and fixing things.

-- Stephanie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, when you get done with your paint job you can come help me with mine!

Bob is not allowed to use any of my tools. I hide them from him!

Mom