Friday, June 20, 2008

Grande Vista



A year ago I flew very late into the Baltimore airport, got lost on the way to Chris and Sabina's, and slept in my rental car for an hour before waking up to have breakfast with them. If that was tiring enough, I spent most of the day waiting for a passport, then in DC traffic and visiting with sister and family, then driving most of the night through West Virginia in time to make it to an important work day, then up at the Louisville airport at 5 a.m. to go on a 19-person (and 9-day) Guatemala mission trip that I was helping lead.

This time I did not get lost, but I was in Pacific time, so I was up for about 23 1/2 hours. And I did sleep in my rental car again - this time, for four hours, instead of one. I woke up to a short walk around east Oakland (north/northeast of Alameda in the map above), on Grande Vista streets, with - as the name would suggest - great views of East San Francisco Bay from this mixed-class, multi-ethnic little neighborhood on the hills of Oakland overlooking the bay (and brought together last night by a home invasion by a gang that the neighbors helped foil).

I did work on the front steps, then took the car to find a pay phone, and reached Guy and Michelle (my final NYC apartmentmates - in Chelsea) in time to have breakfast and learn how to use the computer before they went to work.

No comments: